Most commercial burner melts are a toxic cocktail of petroleum derived waxes, artificially colours and fragrances. So here’s a DIY natural alternative!
You can use local and home grown ingredients and your favourite essential oils.
Once you have mastered the and found the oil combinations that you love you will have a ready stash of these beautiful melts for yourself and for gifts.￼
To use the melts simply pop them in the bowl of your essential oil burner instead of water and essential oil. As they melt the essential oils they have been infused with will be released.
You can the release the solid wax from the burner bowl by sliding a blunt knife down the side.
The recipe is super simple made from beeswax sourced from your local beekeeper or produce market. Not only does beeswax give the melts a wonderful honey glow, they also lend a warm honey fragrance that compliments the essential oils.
If you cannot source beeswax locally there are stores online that can supply you with unrefined beeswax. If you have no dried flowers on hand you can also use a sprinkling of spices to complement your essential oil blend – star anise, cardamom and pink peppercorns are some lovely alternatives.
The best thing is you can recycle your burner melts. Collect the used ones and pop them in little bags noting the oils you use. Rebatch them by melting them down, straining off the botanicals and remoulding them with fresh essential oils. Use oils similar to the original batch as there will be lingering aroma.
I find you can rebatch three to four times before they have had their day. When they are spent (you will know as the oils will start to smell a little “off”), melt and strain the wax and then make it into furniture polish – watch this space, recipe coming soon!
Beautiful Botanical Burner Melts
What You Will Need
240g Natural unbleached beeswax
Essential oils of choice
Dried flowers and/or spices of choice
Silicone 12 hole mini muffin pan
- In a double boiler melt the beeswax over a low heat. If you do not have a double boiler simply place a glass or stainless steel bowl over a saucepan filled 1/4 full of water. Make sure the water is not touching the base of the bowl. Melt the beeswax in the bowl.
2. When no solids remain in the wax turn down the as low as it goes then use a small jug or ladle to pour the wax into the mini muffin pan four holes at a time.
3. When you have poured the first four then add 4 – 8 drops of essential oil into each hole. Then move on and pour another four holes and add the essential oil. After this four, go back to the previous four holes and the wax should be cool enough to add a little sprinkle of botanicals (dried flowers, spices … ). If the botanicals sink do not stress, simply wait another minute or two and float some more botanicals on top of the wax.
4. Continue this regime until all the holes are filled and decorated.
5. Leave for an hour or so and when the melts are solid unmould them and package or store in an airtight container.
Enjoy your beautiful Botanical Burner Melts!